Quinoa is a superfood and provides a lot of protein and energy. That along with the black beans gives you plenty of protein for a full meal–and fills you up! Plus this recipe is SO YUMMY. It’s my go-to for autumn and winter meals.
1 ½ TB Olive Oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 Quart veggie stock
5 Medium tomatoes, peeled and diced (I use fresh) –or— 2 cans (14.5 oz ) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (15 oz) black beans – or one black, one kidney
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
2 TB brown sugar
1 TB dried thyme
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp cinnamon
Pinch of cayenne (I like it mild, but add more spice to your liking)
½ Cup uncooked quinoa
1. Put tomatoes in a pot and fill with water until they’re covered. Bring to boil and boil for 3-5 minutes. Drain and cool under cold water – makes them really easy to peel. Take off skin and set aside.
2. In same pot heat the oil and add the onions and season with kosher salt. Saute for 5-7 minutes
3. Add the veg stock, beans, pumpkin, sugar, thyme, chili powder, cumin, salt, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne. Dice tomatoes and add them.
4. Bring to boil – then reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the quinoa, return to a slow boil and cook for 20 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and add salt if needed.
– The chili thickens with time because of the quinoa, but add more pumpkin if you feel it’s too soupy.
– Garnish with fresh chives and/or parsley
– Add a can of corn if you want.